CPSC Warns of Dangers of Generators and Candles During Power Outage
Aug 19, 2003
 Print this page
During the August 2003 power outage in the Northeast U.S., the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission urged consumers to exercise caution when using generators and candles. The CPSC offers these important safety tips for power outages:

  • Shut off all unnecessary electrical appliances and equipment.
  • If you have a portable generator, only run it outdoors with adequate ventilation. Never use a generator indoors or in attached garages. Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, which can be deadly if inhaled.
  • Plug individual appliances into the generator using heavy duty, outdoor rated cords with a wire gauge adequate for the appliance load.
  • Make sure that the battery in your smoke detector is fresh. Test the smoke detector to make sure it's working.
  • Avoid the use of candles if at all possible. Instead use flashlights or glowsticks. If you must use candles do not put them on or near anything that will burn. And never leave burning candles unattended.

    Back to Breaking News