Report: More Shoppers Over Thanksgiving Weekend
Dec 5, 2013
| Print this page
More than 141 million unique shoppers shopped in the United States during the big 2013 Thanksgiving retail weekend, up from 139 million over the same weekend in 2012, according to early survey results from the National Retail Federation.
When counting consumers who shopped multiple times, more than 248 million shopped during the weekend, up from 247 million shoppers in the same weekend in 2012.
Shopper traffic on Thanksgiving Day was up 27%. There were 45 million shoppers on Thanksgiving Day--31.8% of holiday shoppers. That's up from 35 million in 2012.
Black Friday was the biggest shopping day of the weekend, with more than 92 million people shopping, or 65.2% of holiday shoppers. That's up from 89 million in 2012.
Average spending was down slightly during the 2013 Thanksgiving weekend compared to 2012's. The decrease was attributed to low prices and aggressive discounting, and because many holiday shoppers started their shopping earlier than ever this year.
The NRF survey showed shoppers, on average, spent $407.02 from Thursday through Sunday (planned), down from $423.55 in the same weekend in 2012. Total spending is estimated to reach $57.4 billion.
NRF is still expecting total holiday sales to increase 3.9% to $602 billion.
* 76.2% of 18-34 year olds shopped or planned to shop over the holiday weekend, with 70.9% planning to shop on Black Friday.
* 25.4% of holiday shoppers say they were at stores by 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.
* 37.3% of shoppers were at stores by midnight on Thanksgiving, up from 28.0% in 2012.
About 59 million shoppers, or 42.1% of shoppers, shopped online over Thanksgiving weekend. Of those shoppers, the average amount spent was $177.67--43.7% of their total weekend spending, up from 40.7% in 2012.
The NRF showed that:
* 26.5% of holiday shoppers said they shopped online on Thanksgiving Day
* 47.1% shopped online on Black Friday
* 35.7% shopped online on Saturday
* 24.5% shopped online on Sunday
Back to Breaking News