Whirlpool Garners Record Number of Energy Star Partner of the Year Awards
Mar 12, 2013
| Print this page
Whirlpool Corp. reported that it has now earned a total of 22 Energy Star awards in the United States and Canada since the beginning of the program in 1998, which is more than any other appliance manufacturer.
Among its U.S. awards are seven consecutive Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Awards, earned from 2006 through 2012. This award is described as the top award recognizing a company's leadership in providing consumers with energy- and water-efficient products.
"We believe in, and support, the Energy Star program because of the value it offers consumers," said Nick Gillespie, manager, Government Relations, Whirlpool Corp. "We have a long-term commitment to delivering resource efficient solutions that improve the everyday lives of our consumers."
Whirlpool Corp. said its sustainability achievements include:
* 80% of its products sold in the United States are made in the United States, including more Energy Star appliances than any other manufacturer.
* The total production of Energy Star qualified washers, refrigerators and dishwashers made by the company in 2011 will save consumers more than $750 million in operating costs each year when compared to the old products they replaced. This equates to $11 billion over the life of these products.
* The company donates a Whirlpool brand range and an Energy Star-qualified refrigerator to every new Habitat for Humanity home built in the United States and Canada, for more than 150,000 appliances to date.
* The 2012 KitchenAid and Maytag branded Energy Star(R) qualified side-by-side refrigerators annually use less energy than a 60 watt light bulb. This is more than a 60% improvement in energy efficiency since the Energy Star program was introduced more than 20 years ago.
* Whirlpool Corp. continues to implement an "across-the-board" strategy to reduce green house gas (GHG) emissions, and is on track to exceed its GHG target. It received Platinum LEED certification for its new Riverview office campus and anticipates earning Gold certification for its new million-square-foot cooking factory in Tennessee.
* Whirlpool is the first refrigerator manufacturer committed to incorporating the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) approved Honeywell Solstice Liquid Blowing Agent into its U.S.-made refrigeration products beginning in 2013. The blowing agent is intended to provide customers with refrigerators with the best efficiency and lowest environmental footprint.
Back to Breaking News