Arcelik Brand Beko Pulls Some Australian Cookers and is Targeted by UK Media
Mar 6, 2013
| Print this page
ApplianceMagazine.com reported in July 2011 and in December 2012 about ongoing appliance recalls in the United Kingdom, and that investigators had linked several deaths to the appliances. Beko, a brand of Turkish appliance maker Arcelik, was the name on most of the affected appliances. A new surge of media attention sprang up in the UK on February 25, in which Beko was accused of being too slow to respond to product safety issues.
Just days later, on February 27, Current.com.au reported that Beko had notified Australian buying group NARTA to stop selling certain cooking appliances because of a fault in the appliances. NARTA (National Associated Retail Traders of Australia) is a buying group whose members sell Beko appliances in Australia and New Zealand. Current.com.au reported that the notification to NARTA specified the products were not being recalled. There was also no indication that the fault in Australian Beko appliances had caused any safety issues.
Such was not the case in the UK, where refrigerators were listed by the London Fire Brigade (LFB) and other investigative entities as the cause of several fires, starting in 2008. The specific fault was identified as being in a defrost timer used in about 500,000 Beko refrigerators sold in the UK. Refrigerators using the faulty timer were manufactured in Turkey between January 2000 and October 2006. Beko launched a massive campaign to identify and notify owners of the affected appliances in order to make free repairs.
Beko had also issued a January 2009 safety warning about several models of cookers with grills that had the potential to emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. About 21,000 of the affected cooking appliances had been made in Turkey before January of 2009 and were sold under the Beko, Leisure, and Flavel brand names.
A report from the UK Mirror in December 2012 said that officials linked the cookers to eight deaths in the UK. At that time documents from Beko showed that, despite a significant advertising and mailing campaign, the company had not been able to get in touch with 6,998 users of the cookers.
Beko also issued a safety notice in November 2012 regarding a potential fire risk from Beko-brand condenser tumble dryers manufactured between May 2012 and October 2012.
Reporting in the UK in February 2013 seems to have been spurred by legal steps being taken in the UK with regards to one of the deaths blamed on a Beko appliance. A February 25 report in the online Belfast Telegraph describes how an elderly woman living in Belfast was "was killed by her Beko cooker" in her home. The article referred to a report in The Sunday Times that said Beko "did not act swiftly enough" to alert users about fire and carbon monoxide risks that were posed by some models.
A report in the online Daily Mail said Beko was being accused of "dragging its feet" over dangerously faulty appliances.
ApplianceMagazine.com Report: 7,000 Dangerous Beko Cookers Still In-Use in UK
Beko Fights Fire in the UK
Back to Breaking News