The robotics market in North American had its best strongest year ever in 2012, according to data from the Robotic Industries Association (RIA).
Companies in North America bought 22,598 robots, with a value of $1.48 billion, in 2012. The results exceed 2011's sales of 19,337 robots.
Adding in sales by North American robot suppliers to companies outside North America boosts the total to 25,557 robots valued at $1.66 billion.
North American robotics sales in 2012 were up 17% in units and 27% in dollars.
The Automotive industry has been the strongest driver of robot sales in North America, but sales were up 12% in metalworking industries. Applications for robotics in 2012:
* assembly applications were up by 40%
* spot welding applications were up by 37%
* arc welding applications were up by 24%
* coating & dispensing applications were up by 13%
* material handling applications were up by 3%
Back to Breaking News