When choosing a retail venue, two-thirds of consumers say free Wi-Fi does influence their decision, according to In-Stat’s new Wi-Fi Hotspot research. Just 5% - one in 20 consumers - said that free Wi-Fi availability would have no influence over venue choice.
Amy Cravens, market analyst with In-Stat, said even if no revenue comes from offering a hotspot, free Wi-Fi is a significant factor in drawing customers. "It’s no wonder then that over 150 thousand café/retail venues have now deployed Wi-Fi hotspots, although not all of these are free," Cravens said. "That’s in addition to the tens of thousands of travel-related installations (hotels, airports, in-flight) worldwide.”
In-Stat found that:
• Worldwide annual hotspot connects (sessions) will surpass two billion by the end of 2010.
• Annual hotspot connects are expected to grow more than 11 billion by 2014.
• The Asia/Pacific will have about a quarter of the worldwide hotspot venues over the forecast period.
• In 2012, handhelds are expected to account for half of hotspot connects.
• 319,200 venues will offer hotspots by the end of 2010.
Back to Breaking News