The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) recognized 45 people for their contributions to ASHRAE and the HVAC&R industry at the Society's 2004 Winter Meeting. The expo, which is currently underway, takes place Jan. 24-28 in Anaheim, CA, U.S.
ASHRAE presented Clark Bullard, Ph.D., a professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Urbana, IL. U.S. with The F. Paul Anderson Award, given in recognition of notable achievement or outstanding work or service in any field of the Society.
Richard Vermillion, vice president, AME Inc. in Edmond, OK, U.S., received the ASHRAE/ALCO Medal for Distinguished Public Service. The award recognizes distinguished public service by an ASHRAE member.
The Society also elevated 17 members to the grade of "Fellow ASHRAE." Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes distinction in the arts and sciences of environmental technology. The honor is earned through achievement as a researcher, designer, educator or engineering executive. The following members received this upgrade of membership:
- Bryan Becker, Ph.D., P.E., a professor of mechanical engineering and head of the civil and mechanical engineering division, University of Missouri-Kansas City in Kansas City, MO, U.S.
- Mohinder Bhatti, Ph.D., senior staff research engineer, Delphi Harrison Thermal Systems, Lockport, NY, U.S.
- John Chato, Ph.D., P.E., professor and assistant dean emeritus, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, U.S.
- Yan P. Chee, P.E., principal, Y.P. Chee and Associates in Singapore.
- Thiam L. Chen, P.Eng., C.Eng., CEO, Primetech Engineers Sdn Bhd, Malaysia.
- Gerald C. Groff, principal, Groff Associates, Cazenovia, NY, U.S.
- Birol Kilkis, Ph.D., a consultant, Watts Radiant, Springfield, MO, U.S.
- Thomas Kuehn, Ph.D., professor and director of the environmental division, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, U.S.
- Edwin C. Lee, P.E., C.Eng., director, Bechard & Associates, Consulting Engineers, San Diego, CA, U.S.
- Robert H. Lodge, vice president, climate control division, LSB Industries, Oklahoma City, OK, U.S. He resides in Los Angeles, CA, U.S.
- William E. Murphy, Ph.D., P.E., director of the engineered extended campus—Paducah and professor, mechanical engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, U.S.
- Peter V. Nielsen, professor of indoor environmental engineering, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Michael Ohadi, Ph.D., professor and co-director, Center for Environmental Energy Engineering, College Park, MD, U.S.
- Andrew K. Persily, Ph.D., group leader, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.
- Steven T. Taylor, P.E., principal, Taylor Engineering, Alameda, CA, U.S.
- Robert B. "Dutch" Uselton, P.E., senior principal engineer-applied research, Lennox Industries Inc., Carrollton, TX, U.S.
- Tawee Vechaphutti, P.E., associate professor, mechanical engineering department, faculty of engineering, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand.
ASHRAE also presented the ASHRAE Technology Awards. This honor recognizes outstanding achievements by members who have successfully applied innovative building designs, which incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and indoor air quality.
The Technology Award first-place winner is David Inghram, P.E., for the Des Moines Area Community College-West Campus in West Des Moines, IA, U.S. He is a senior project engineer, KJWW Engineering Consultants, Des Moines, IA, U.S.
The ASHRAE Technology Award honorable-mention project is Jeffrey Blaevoet, for the Hamilton Landing Hangars commercial speculative office space, Novato, CS, U.S. He is principal, Guttmann and Blaevoet Consulting Engineers, San Francisco, CA, U.S.
In the HVAC System Design Category, the award recipients are as follows:
- First-place: Jesse Bigelow, Andy Geem, Gerard Harris, Robert Krieg, Nathon Klein and Mike Sweeney of Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI, U.S. Their advisors are Mike Feutz and Eric Quilitzch.
- Second-place: Jeremy Cox, Mason Gup, Doug Gwaltney, Matthew Miller and Andrew Rode of the University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, U.S. Their adviser is H.A. Ingley, Ph.D., P.E.
In the HVAC System Selection Category, the recipients are as follows:
- First-place: Larry Good, Scott Huber and Rebecca Thompson of Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, U.S. Their adviser is William Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E.
- Second-place (tie): Joe Brandsen, Toby Giangrande, Nick Keeler, Chris Korn, Jarrad Mitchell and Eric VanBogelen of Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI, U.S. Their adviser is Eric Quilitzch. Daniel Barnes, Kimberly Bunz, Nicholas Rosenberry and Nathan Sheets of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Omaha, NE, U.S. Their adviser is Lynn Werman, P.E.
- The E.K. Campbell Award honors outstanding achievements by engineering educators. The recipient is Anthony Jacobi, Ph.D., professor, mechanical engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, U.S.
to Daily News