80% of households in the United States have an outdoor barbecue, grill, or smoker, and 97% of owners used the appliance in the past year. These are among the findings of a usage and trends report published in May 2014 by the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA). The study is conducted every two years.
The survey results also show that most grill owners—60%—use their grill year-round.
Of the households that own an outdoor grill:
• 61 % have a gas grill
• 41% have a charcoal grill
• 10% own an electric grill
Nearly half—45%—of grill purchasers bought a replacement grill, and 29% bought an additional grill.
American's most popular days for using an outdoor grill? It's no surprise that summer holidays top the list:
• Fourth of July, 68%
• Memorial Day, 52%
• Labor Day, 51%
But more people are also using their outdoor grill during special days year-round:
• Super Bowl Sunday, 31%
• Easter, 18%
• Thanksgiving, 15%
• New Year’s Eve/Day, 15%
The study also gauges how grill owners see their outdoor grilling area:
• 49% of grill owners see their outdoor grilling area as a functional cooking area of their home
• 30% see it as entertainment area
• 21% see it as a place to rest and relax
37% of consumers have a large moveable grill system on a modest patio/deck, with some outdoor furniture and an informal place to eat.
Consumers most important grill features are easy ignition and lots of room to grill. How important grill features were ranked:
• Easy ignition system, 49%
• large grilling surface, 39%
• ease of cleaning, 35%
• quality of construction, 32%
• ability to heat up quickly, 29%
A factor that is becoming more important for grill buyers is the color of the grill. The HPBA study found that 42% of gas grill owners and 34% of charcoal grill owners view the color of the grill as a major purchasing factor, which is a 38% increase from the previous study.
When entertaining using a grill:
• gas grill owners use their grill an average of 12 times a year
• electric grill owners, also 12 times a year
• charcoal grill owners, 11 times a year
The most popular foods to grill:
• hot dogs, 72%
• steak, 71%
• burgers, 69%
• chicken parts, 64%
Health and seasoning:
• 38% of grill owners believe food cooked on their grills, rather than in their ovens, is more healthful, while 57% believe it is just as healthy.
• 74% of gas grill users normally use barbecue sauce for basting during cooking.
• Dry meat rubs are popular, with 33% of grillers using them more often than not.
When it comes to the head of the households, the male:
• most often makes the decision to cook on the grill, 62% of the time
• lights the grill, 73%
• cooks on the grill, 68%
Almost 78% of both male or female users cooking on the grill consider themselves to be extremely proficient or proficient in most situations.
The male in the household is more likely to make the decision to buy a grill; he does 66% of the time.
HPBA's State of the Barbecue Industry Report research was conducted online by The Stevenson Company in July and August of 2013. The report was released in May of 2014.
to Daily News