The Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute submitted comments to the Department of Energy on Nov. 12, 2013, on DOE's notice of proposed rulemaking on walk-in cooler/freezer efficiency standards.
AHRI recommended that DOE adopt separate performance requirements for unit coolers and condensing units instead of for complete refrigeration systems.
The organization also suggested that performance or prescriptive compliance paths for structural panels and non-display doors be allowed.
AHRI also addressed:
* proposed coverage of blast coolers and freezers
* allowances for alternative efficiency determination methods (AEDMs)
* proposed test procedures
* testing laboratory capabilities
* lifetime of walk-in doors
* the energy efficiency metric proposed for doors
* social cost of carbon.
DOE's final rule is expected to be published in April 2014.
to Daily News