Spectrum Brands' Kwikset brand launched the Kevo smart lock, a Bluetooth-enabled deadbolt for the home.
Homeowners can install Kevo and download a mobile iPhone app to serve as a key for the lock. The app allows the homeowner to:
* unlock the door with their smartphone
* send electronic keys (eKeys) to family, friends and service people
* receive notifications whenever a user enters or exits the door
Kwikset President Greg Gluchowski said the new lock can represent a new definition of security for homeowners--"Whether keeping track of your teenage daughter, granting temporary access to a housecleaner or monitoring your front door activity while on vacation."
The app can be used to send eKeys to family, friends, or service people from anywhere. Recipients download the mobile app themselves to use the electronic key--it will allow them to unlock the door with a touch. Several levels of permissions are offered, and homeowners can send, delete, and disable eKeys within seconds. They can also receive notifications when a user locks or unlocks the door.
Other features of the lock:
* Patent-pending positioning technology detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
* Users can keep their phones in their pocket or purse, then touch the lock to open the lock.
* Users who do not have a smartphone can still have touch-to-open capability convenience with an available fob. One fob can be authorized to work with up to 25 Kevo locks.
The smart lock works with any device supporting Bluetooth Smart Ready/Bluetooth 4.0 hardware. The app is currently available for:
* iPhone 4S, 5, 5c and 5s
* iPod Touch fifth generation iPod
* iPad third generation or higher
* iPad mini
The app will become available for other platforms such as Android, pending software upgrades, to fully support Bluetooth Smart Ready/Bluetooth 4.0 technology.
The deadbolt has a suggested price of $219 and is available at U.S. retailers nationwide.
Kwikset is a brand of the Hardware & Home Improvement (HHI) division of Spectrum Brands Holdings.
to Daily News