Liebherr Receives red dot Design Award for Refrigerators
The Home Appliances business segment of German diversified manufacturer Liebherr won red dot design awards for two of its refrigerators. The integrated ICBP 3256 BioFresh fridge-freezer (pictured top) and the integrated IKBP 3554 BioFresh refrigerator are in Europe's best A+++ energy efficiency class. The company said particular emphasis was placed on the combination of energy efficiency and operating comfort when designing these appliances.
The company's Earthmoving Equipment business segment also won a red dot award for a very different product--a Compact Loader (pictured bottom).
About red dot
The red dot design award program, organized by the European design institute Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, has become one of the most highly recognized international design competitions.
The event started in 1955 as a product exhibition organized by Industrieform e.V., the predecessor to the Design Zentrum. It has now grown into one the biggest worldwide design contests. In 2012 alone it attracted more than 15,000 applications from 70 countries.
The Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen displays "red dot" award-winning products in its design museum for a year or longer.
A jury of designers and design experts from around the world appraises submissions according to criteria such as innovation, functionality, quality, ergonomics, sustainability, symbolic and emotional content, and whether a product is self-explanatory.
red dot award: Product Design
The competition is broken out into three disciplines, including the red dot award: product design. It was the "Design Innovationen" award from 1955 through 2000, when the name of the competition was changed to "red dot award: product design." Manufacturers and designers of many different industrial products can enter the competition in 19 categories.
Past winners include the design teams of Porsche, Bose, BMW, Grohe, LG Electronics, adidas, Pininfarina, Apple, Mercedes-Benz, Nokia, Philips, Audi, and Siemens. In 2012, more than 1,800 companies from 60 countries submitted 4,515 products.
The 19 Product Design categories are:
* Living rooms and bedrooms - includes stoves (hearth products) as well as furniture, accessories, materials, floor coverings, wall coverings, etc.
* Households - includes washing machines, dryers, vacuum cleaners, cleaning devices, iron systems, ventilators, other domestic appliances
* Kitchens - kitchen equipment, kitchen furniture, cooking implements, heaters and hobs (cooktops), microwaves, extractor hoods, dishwashers, sink units, refrigerators and freezers, kitchen utensils and accessories, coffee machines, toasters, mixers, professional kitchens
* Tableware and decoration
* Bathrooms, spas and air-conditioning - heating and air-conditioning technology, saunas, solaria, massage equipment, bathroom furnishings, etc.
* Lighting and lamps
* Gardens - includes grills and barbecue as well as outdoor furniture, garden equipment and tools, garden lamps, etc.
* Outdoor, leisure and sports equipment
* Fashion, lifestyle and accessories (apparel)
* Watches and jewelry
* Interior design - includes room and building equipment, interior furnishing, micro architecture, etc.
* Architecture and urban design
* Offices - includes office equipment, office furniture, etc.
* Industry and crafts - includes machines, industrial plant and equipment, components, robots, tools, etc.
* Life science and medicine - includes medical equipment and devices, laboratory technology and furniture, etc.
* Automotive and transportation
* Entertainment technology and cameras - includes consumer electronics such as TV, DVD, Blu-ray, home theater, gaming consoles, cameras, media players, etc.
* Communications - includes mobile phones, smartphones, telephones, etc.
* Computers and information technology - PCs, notebooks, tablet PCs, etc.
Other red dot award Disciplines
In addition to red dot award: product design the other two major disciplines recognized are the:
* red dot award: communication design--The German Prize for Communication Design started in 1993; in 2000 it changed to the red dot award: communication design award.
* red dot award: design concept--launched in 2005 and is organized in Singapore annually.
to Daily News