7000 Beko cooking appliances with the potential to give off dangerous levels of carbon monoxide are still being used in UK homes, according to a report by British media outlet Mirror Online.
Beko PLC, the UK-based business of Turkish appliance maker Arcelik, began contacting buyers of the faulty cookers (which are called ranges in the United States) soon after the problem was discovered in late 2008. Out of 21,000 cooker buyers, the company has still not been able to get in touch with 6,998 users, despite a vigorous advertising and mailing campaign. Reporter Martin Fricker, author of the recent Mirror article, wrote that the company even knocked on doors in its attempts to contact buyers of the recalled cookers.
The number of buyers still not contacted was released in connection with an inquest into the carbon monoxide deaths of two men who shared a house in Saltash. Richard Smith and Kevin Branton died in 2010. It is believed one of the men inadvertently turned on the grill of the home's Flavel-brand cooker with the door closed. This interrupted oxygen flow to the burner and allowed carbon monoxide to accumulate.
The January 2009 safety warning from Beko indicated that several models of cookers with a separate oven and grill were affected. These units were made in Turkey before January of 2009 and sold under the Beko, Leisure, and Flavel brand names.
The report from the Mirror said that officials now link the cookers to eight deaths in the UK, including Smith and Branton.
Beko also faced significant criticism in the UK in mid-2011 over a different recall - this one of affecting 500,000 Beko refrigerators sold in the UK with a defective timer that had the potential to cause a fire. Read: Beko Fights Fire in the UK.
to Daily News