Samsung Electronics America recruited actress Patricia Heaton, star of the TV sitcom The Middle, to serve as spokesperson for this week's launch of 2012 smart home appliances. The line includes:
* A Wi-Fi enabled LCD refrigerator with apps that help kitchen organization
* a smart phone-controlled washer/dryer designed to give the user more freedom from the laundry room
* a large capacity oven that can be divided into two separate ovens for meal preparation flexibility
Samsung and Heaton will also launch the "Make Your House Work" online program to provide ideas, inspiration, and recommendations for Samsung home appliances to keep consumer homes "operating at peak performance."
Samsung's promotional focus is on the 2012 product line's enhanced connectivity, capacity, and convenience. In terms of Connectivity:
* The Wi-Fi enabled WF457 washing machine and dryer are designed to be less time-consuming to use with a smartphone app that enables the appliances to be remotely stopped, started, and paused. In addition, SpeedSpray technology shoots a water/detergent solution directly onto clothes to begin cleaning faster and reduces cycle time by 15 minutes compared to a similar washer without the feature.
* The LCD Refrigerator with apps was updated with the Grocery Manager app, which tracks the expiration time of perishables. Samsung said the feature came from consumer feedback asking for more efficient ways to control the waste and cost of spoiled food.
Capacity enhancements to the 2012 line include:
* The 32 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator is the largest in its class and is designed to have enough useable space to fit up to 32 bags of groceries.
* The 4.5 cu. ft. High Efficiency Top Load Washer does 2.4 laundry baskets (or 32 bath towels) full of clothes at a time, reducing the time spent in the laundry room.
* The Flex Duo Oven can split from one large capacity oven into two separate ovens - one 2.7 cu. ft. and one 3.0 cu. ft.. It gives users the option to prepare two dishes at two different temperatures.
* A new induction range with Flex Cookzone offers a flexible cooking surface to accommodate pots or griddles that would not fit on a standard-sized heating surface. A boil sensor helps eliminate boil-overs by alerting the user or automatically reducing heat to a pre-set level.
* New canister vacuums are being made available in the U.S. for the first time, and have reduced noise levels that, Samsung said, "allow busy moms to vacuum anytime of day or night even when the room is filled with family members watching TV or snoozing on the couch."
to Daily News