81% of social media users are using online social networks to find information to aid consumer electronics (CE) purchasing decisions, according to a new study from the Consumer Electronics Association.
The report said:
* 24% of social media users say they always or almost always refer to social media websites before they purchase a CE device
* 38% say reviews or comments by someone they know influenced their purchase decisions.
* 23% were likely to be influenced or strongly influenced by ads or promotions posted by a company on social media
Social media is even more important as a conduit of purchase information for "high-engagement" social media users (who spend 13.5 hours a week on social media sites):
* 65% always or almost always referring to social media websites before purchasing a CE device.
* 84% said reviews or comments on social media sites by someone they know influenced their CE purchase decisions.
* 71% were likely to be influenced or strongly influenced by ads or promotions posted by a company on social media.
Among all consumers who researched CE products on social media sites before buying, 42% searched for a coupon or discount on a social media website. The number jumps to 53% for high-engagement users.
Users who posted a comment and/or review on a social media website after their purchase:
* 22% of overall social media users
* 51% of high-engagement users
Where reviews were posted:
* 72% on the user's personal page on a social media website
* 37% on a retailer's website
* 26% on a personal blog
"CE manufacturers and retailers have an opportunity to reach interested consumers directly by growing their presence on social media sites," said Chris Ely, manager of industry relations, CEA. "When it comes to consumer electronics purchases, most high-engagement users are likely to follow or "friend" a company due to special promotions, contests, entertainment or exclusive content."
to Daily News