While mobile PCs and portable consumer electronic (CE) devices comprised the lion’s share of Wi-Fi chipset shipments in 2008, mobile handsets and stationary CE categories are driving the market growth, according to an In-Stat report. In 2008, Wi-/Fi chipsets in mobile handsets grew by more than 51%, In-Stat said. By 2010, In-Stat anticipates that this category will exceed 20% of the total Wi-Fi chipset market.
In-Stat also found that:
• Total Wi-Fi chipset revenue will pass US$4 billion by 2012.
• The Apple iPhone garnered a lot of attention in the handset category, but Nokia and HTC led in Wi-Fi-enabled handset volumes.
• The strong success of new netbook devices is boosting growth in the computing segment.
• 802.11n will surpass 802.11g in the stationary CE embedded chipset segment in 2010.
• New Bluetooth 3.0 specification uses 802.11g technology for the physical layer, which could open up a new market for Wi-Fi chipset suppliers.
to Daily News