The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Board of Directors has named its new members and officers for the term beginning Jan. 1, 2009.
Arthur E. Cote, P.E, supported by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), was appointed as ANSI's new chairman of the board. Robert W. Noth, manager of Engineering and Standards for Deere & Company, will step down from his current position as chairman and will assume the new role of immediate past chairman.
Supporting the chairman will be four vice-chairmen: Dr. Belinda Collins, director, Technology Services for the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), has been appointed for her first term as a vice chair. Laura E. Hitchcock, corporate project manager, External Standards for The Boeing Company; James T. Pauley, vice president of Industry and Government Relations at Schneider Electric/Square D Company; and James A. Thomas, president of ASTM International, will continue in their respective positions as vice-chairmen of the Institute.
The following individuals were elected as Directors-at-Large for terms beginning Jan. 1, 2009, and ending Dec. 31, 2011:
• Kathy Apple, CEO, National Council of State Boards of Nursing
• Russ Chaney, executive director, IAPMO
• Patricia A. Gleason, president, Safety Equipment Institute
• Linda Golodner, president emeritus, National Consumers League
• Judith Gorman, managing director of IEEE Standards Association, IEEE
• Joseph McGuire, president, Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
• Dr. R. David Pittle, consumer representative
• Ronald Silletti, corporate program director of Standards, IBM Corp.
• Andy Updegrove, partner, Gesmer Updegrove LLP
• Jack Wells, vice president Corporate Development, Pass & Seymour/Legrand
• Stephen Yurek, president, Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI)
In addition, Dr. William F. Koch, chief meterology officer for U.S. Pharmacopeia and Claire Ramspeck, director of Technology for ASHRAE were approved by the Board to fill vacancies created by members who resigned this year.
Individuals retiring from the Board at the end of 2008 include:
• Dr. George W. Arnold, deputy director, Technology Services, National Institute of Standards and Technology
• Dr. Richard J. Forselius, manager, Records & Standards, Hamilton Sunstrand/United Technologies Corp.
• June Ling, associate executive director, ASME
• Susan M.Miller, president and CEO, Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions
• Joan E.Sterling, director of Government Relations, Intertek Testing Services
• Michael Taubitz, global regulatory liaison, General Motors Corp.
to Daily News