To view the full report, click here.
To view the table of contents, click here.
The HVAC segment generated favorable results in September 2011. Central air-conditioners, commercial electric and gas water heaters, and residential gas and electric water heaters realized increased unit shipments compared to September 2010. Residential electric water heaters had the most positive growth, up 17% year over year. The three categories within the HVAC segment that experienced a decrease in unit shipments were air-source heat pumps, gas warm air furnaces, and oil warm air furnaces.
Central air-conditioners, air-source heat pumps, and commercial gas and electric water heaters were the categories that generated growth during the first nine months of 2011 when compared to STLY.
Unit shipments during October for the core group of major appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators, freezers, ranges, and ovens) decreased 0.8% compared to STLY. Gas cooking unit shipments decreased the most, falling 8.8%. Offsetting the decline was an increase in unit shipments for freezers which grew 34.1% when compared to STLY figures.¬†¬†
Unit shipments during January-October 2011 for the core group of major appliances declined over 4% when compared to STLY. Declines impacted most categories including gas cooking appliances as well as gas and electric dryers, both falling over 6%. Microwaves and freezers bucked this downward trend with reported increased shipments of about 3% each.¬†¬†
Several supplier segments reported price decreases in October including aluminum, cardboard products, natural gas, plastic products, polypropylene, and stainless steel.¬†¬†
Economic activity in the U.S. manufacturing sector expanded overall in November for the 28th consecutive month, according to the latest Manufacturing ISM Report on Business. The appliance sector was one of seven industry sectors to report growth in production during the period, up 6.5% from October's 50.1%.
Inside the November 2011 Edition:
- Unit shipment statistical analysis for year-to-date (YTD), same-time-last-year (STLY), and historical STLY trends
- Expert analysis of market conditions and the outlook for each major appliance category
- Industry review of the Middle Eastern/African markets
- Q&A with Mitsubishi Electric discussing business strategies and market opportunities
- OEM activity for November 2011 including Electrolux, Panasonic, Fisher & Paykel, Gorenje, and Hitachi
- Manufacturing, retail sales, supplier materials, and consumer spending metrics
- OECD composite leading indicators for September 2011
- Durable goods appliance manufacturer shipments
- Housing market forecast and trend analysis
- Monthly retail sales for October 2011
- Calendar of upcoming industry events